Friday, April 4, 2014

I'm a Fucking Vampire by Woodgraves

I'm a Fucking Vampire | Woodgraves
1. We're More Than Just Myspace Friends
2. I wish I could Leave
3. Let Me Sleep or Let Me Die, I don't Care Which Comes First
4. Let the Waves Carry Me to Pieces (I hope I drown next to your lifeless body)
5. Interlude I
6. These Sleeping Pills Don't Help. 
7. It's Too Cold out and I don't know where I am.
8. You've Become a Shapeshifter
9. It's hard to stay standing when all you've got to hold you is yourself.
10. Interlude II
11. Don't let me drown in a pool of my own blood

Saint Louis act Woodgraves's latest is a fully acoustic emo/twinkle release that shows off the solo act's ability at songwriting. Single guitar and vocals, these releases can usually either be really interesting, or really boring to listen to. On one side of the spectrum you've got your June and on the other hand you've got your releases by people who know how to play four chords and play 5 minute long songs. One thing I like about Woodgraves is that he keeps the songs emo style short. Averaging out at about 2 and a half minutes. So at least he's conscientious about these things. Recording is fine, lo-fi to say the least, was most likely done through a condenser mic. The thing that I go for on these kind of releases isn't vocals, or lyrics, which most people would want to take into consideration, but I go for the songwriting on the only instrument that is being played. If what's being played in the background isn't interesting, then I'm just listening to chord progressions for 13 or so minutes. If someone who went of vocals judged this based off of Ryan's singing ability, which reminds me of some emo band vocalist who ripped out his vocal chords screaming, then they would probably say this was horrible. I on the other hand, think that his vocals compliment the style of music/and the overall tone, perfectly.
A notable song for guitar on this release would be during "It's Hard To Stay Standing When All You've Got To Hold You is Yourself". It's got this twinkly vibe thingy going on that made me listen to it more than any of the other tracks on the release.
Overall, it's a cool release, so check it out.

Favorite track: It's hard to stay standing when all you've got to hold you is yourself.

bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment