Thursday, April 10, 2014

New Beginnings by Firestarter

New Beginnings|Firestarter
1. New Beginnings
2. 49 Stow
3. Myrtle Ave. 
4. Worth My Time
5. Three Years


If you're a pop punk band and aren't The Wonder Years, or Hometown HeroesI probably am not the biggest fan of you. It's not that I'm against pop punk, i'm against generic pop punk, which is what most pop punk bands are. I was a little skeptical when I first listened to Firestarter after buying their EP at a show that I played with them, and it took more than a while to formulate any opinion of them. Hailing from New York, Firestarter's release is an in-your-face kinda release. I'm not saying these guys aren't generic p0p punk$$$, but they do it really really well, making them one of the few pop punk bands I will voluntarily listen to. Drums are heavy in the mix, which I'm really digging. Guitars soar around and don't do anything too amazing, and when it comes to bass, unless it's a bass line they wanted to hear, you can't really hear it. Did I mention that the drums are really heavy in the mix? Maybe this is just a pop punk thing and if I wasn't such a damn music elitist about it and listened to more of the genre this wouldn't be such a big thing. These guys sound really professional on this release, and live they sound just as well. Lots of good sing along things. Lots of good things to say about this band. If you're a fan of the genre and you've not listened to Firestarter yet, you should get on that, I feel like these guys should be signed to some big label or something.

Favorite track: 49 Stow/Three Years

Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment