Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Bearing the Cold, by Flawless

Bearing The cold by Flawless
1. What a Waste of Time
2. Entirety
3. Anybody Else
4. Untitled
5. Stutter
I was just talking about Flawless with my friend Kasey, and mentioned the fact that they put out a new release every December. Well, here is 2013's Flawless release. Flawless is a local 417 Post-hardcore/pop punk band, and probably the biggest band on the scene. 
At first listen to this new Flawless, I didn't really enjoy the new sound that they are putting out, but after a few more listens, I started to enjoy it more. These 5 songs are very punk-esq, with emo-ish lyrics. Ian's vocals continue to get better and better with each release, and the sound of "Bearing the Cold" seems more like Flawless's first release. Local drumming all-star Alex Harris (Drummer for Dirt Nap, Blackhole, Dirk Frazel, Grammer,, and many many other bands) shows off some stock Alex Harris Drumming, and guitar is set to what seems to be a medium tone, not too heavy, and not too light. What really sticks out to me on many of the tracks is the Bass, heavy in the mix, and driving the songs forward. 
What caught my attention most, aside from the bass lines, would be the lyrical aspect of the songs. I mentioned them to be emo-ish, and that's all I can relate them too. Dark, sad, makes you think about things you don't really like to think about. 
In all, if you're a fan of Flawless, you should like this release, but it's no Winter Tour Tape. Check it out.
Favorite Song: Anybody Else